Amaterasu | 天照大御神
Amaterasu is the most important god in Japanese mythology. She is the goddess of the sun and ruler of the heavenly realm. Her name means 'to illuminate heaven'.
Amaterasu is portrayed in Japan's ancient texts the Kojiki and the Nihon Shoki and she is a major deity of Japan's Shinto religion. Ise Grand Shrine in Mie Prefecture is dedicated to the worship of Amaterasu, and it is one of the most sacred and important Shinto sites in Japan. The imperial family of Japan is also said to be her descendants.
Amaterasu is the bearer of the imperial regalia, or the Sanshu no Jingi 三種の神器. These three sacred treasures include the sword (valour), the mirror (wisdom) and the jewel (benevolence). Amaterasu gave these treasures to her grandson to take down to earth and start the imperial line.
These three treasures are also present in my kamon (family crest) as our main house was a Shinto shrine when we were priests. I've snuck in my kamon on her kimono to show that connection to her...can you spot it?
Amaterasu Fine Art Print Pre-order
- Giclée Fine Art Print
- Printed on 310gsm German etching paper (100% cotton rag watercolour paper)
- Acid free, archival quality paper
- The prints come in two sizes: A4 (21 x 29.7cm) or A3 (29.7 x 42cm)
- All prints will be numbered, hand signed and stamped with my hanko (signature seal)
- Note: frame in photo not included
- Print pre-sale ends 01 December 2022